Mrs Candice Chetty

Photo of Candice Chetty

Registered Counsellor  ?
 B.Psych (Counselling); BA Hons (Industrial and Organisational Psychology); Dip (HRM and Training); MA (Psychology)

HPCSA Number: PRC0002429
Practice Number: 0302775


My educational experience entails B. Psych (Counselling); Diploma in Human Resource Management and Training; BA Hons Industrial and Organisational Psychology and MA (Psychology).

I have a 10 year history of working within the Higher Education context at a Student Counselling, Career and Development Centre and I enjoy working with adolescence and adults of all ages.

I am employed on a full-time basis at a student counselling centre, and run a private practice from home on a part-time basis.


Registered Counsellors offer counselling and assessment in all areas of life, to all cultures and ages.

The role of Registered Counsellors is “to provide psychological and preventative interventions that focus on support and promote the enhancement of wellbeing in community contexts. This includes individuals, families, groups, communities” In a nutshell, their role is to be at the forefront of life’s challenging situations and contain them; when containment is not possible, a form of pathology exists, or a diagnosis is needed, we refer on to the relevant type of medical professional.

On the most basic level, psychological assessments and counselling services are available at fees that are lower than those of psychologists. However, this does not mean Registered Counsellors are in competition with psychologists. As an analogy, when you have a cold, you visit your GP – a General Practitioner – but if you have chronic, persistent headaches you may need to visit a neurologist. Similarly, if you have a general life difficulty, such as feeling overwhelmed with an upcoming life event, a Registered Counsellor can assist; however, chronic depression would require the expertise of a psychologist and/or psychiatrist.

From an education perspective, Registered Counsellors complete a four-year B-Psych degree, or BA Honours in psychology and a six-month internship. They then write the HPCSA board exam and need a minimum of 70% to pass and register with the board

Contact via Find Help

Tel: 081 704 4849
Mobile: 081 704 4849
Facebook: facebook

[email protected]

Parsons Vlei
14 Azteca Street
Parsons Vlei
Port Elizabeth

Works with: Adolescents, adults, individuals, and couples.

Specialising in: Career assessments, family difficulties, learning difficulties, life changes, loss/grief, organisational development, relationships, self development, sexuality and gender, and trauma.

Working in: English and Afrikaans.